The US State Department is not in contact with North Korea regarding the soldier who entered the country last week. A ministry spokesman said on Monday that earlier reports of communication between Pyongyang and the UN on the matter were also likely based on a misunderstanding.
Travis King, 23, visited Panmunjom on the armistice line that separates the two Koreas and suddenly entered North Korean territory during a tourist tour, where he was detained. It is not known why the military man, who was recently held in a South Korean prison for two months, did this.
A US State Department spokesman said on Monday that the UN mission based in Panmunjom had indeed contacted North Korea on the day King crossed the border. “But as far as I understand, the North Koreans have only confirmed that they received the message,” said Matthew Miller, who noted that Pyongyang has not responded to any follow-up messages.
WATCH The mother of a soldier in North Korea pleads for her son
Source : HLN